Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using a "phantom" url

Status
Not open for further replies.

lshippee

Technical User
Jul 19, 2000
US
Has anyone heard of using a "phantom" or "dummy" url for a web site? If so, how does one accomplish this? This would be a "friendly" web address that connects to a longer, hard to remember url where the site actually lives. The site in question is not actually its own site, but rather part of a larger one. The thought I have is to pull it out of the larger site and set it up as truly individual with its own "friendly" domain name; however, the owner of the site prefers not to do that for various reasons. The "phantom" web address would not be an actual web site, just a reference to the extended url of the parent site. The host for the parent site can allow a separate url, but it will point to the parent site home page, not a separate specified page on the site. Much thanks for your thoughtful consideration!

You can have as many Domain Names as you want pointing to your IP address. Of course each one has to be registered.

Or, have I totaly missed your question?

-pete

Pete, I think you provided the answer that meets his need. Ishippee, usually your hosting company will add additional domain pointers for your site, typically with a small one-time charge. Mine charges $25, so that I could have " point to my main, or subdirectory, of Robert Bradley
Coming Soon:

Thanks Pete & Robert,

My host company is happy to set me up with additional pointers; however, they say they can't (won't?) have it point to a subdirectory of the site, only to the main page. Do I need a new host company or only to enlighten them to the possibilities? Have you had your host actually do this? Please elaborate.

True, my web hosting company ( and I am very happy with them) says that the $25 fee gets an alternate URL pointing to your main page, as your hoster suggests (other hosters may have different policies).

But, webaxxs also offers a Webmaster plan; a quote from their materials:

The Webmaster Upgrade provides the ability to redirect parked domains to sub directories.

I don't know if this is exactly what you had in mind or not, but it sounds close. Robert Bradley
Coming Soon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back