Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using a multi column function to solve continous rows of data

Status
Not open for further replies.

basictypeuser

Technical User
Jun 16, 2004
US
Hoping someone can help with this one.

I have ~40k rows of DAQ values. I have a formula on a second worksheet which uses multiple columns. I am trying to figure out how to move a particular value in a cell to the work sheet function in the appropriate row.

Example on sheet one, I have a number returned of 5.04. I want to take that number and use the function created on the second worksheet to solve for value in sheet one. The value in sheet one will need to be calculated in the appropriate single digit cell. Another words the column labeled volume in the 5 value position. (greater than 4 and less than 6) Hopefully my question makes sense.

Radius of tank Height of liquid Theta Area of fuel Change in area Change in % Fractional Gauge Level, volume
12 1 0.82 6.45 6.45 1.43% 0
12 2 1.17 18.01 11.56 2.55% 0
12 3 1.45 32.64 14.63 3.23% 1/8
12 4 1.68 49.56 16.92 3.74% 1/8
12 5 1.90 68.28 18.72 4.14% 1/8

First, use the Int function to round your number to an integer. Let's say that your value 5.04 appears in A1 of Sheet1:
Code:
=INT(Sheet1!A1)
[/code]
And that your lookup table of values has been named LookupData (if not, consider doing so: Insert>Name>Define)

This value can then be fed into a lookup function to find the appropriate value:
Code:
=VLOOKUP(INT(Sheet1!A1),LookupData,[!]2[/!],FALSE)

The [!]2[/!] in the formula above indicates which column of data your required value resides in.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Born once die twice; born twice die once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back