Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a Make-Table query that copies the primary key 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisperkins

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2004
CH
Hi,

I am using a Make-Table query to create a new table. The source table has a Primary Key set on the "row-id" field.
This is being done every night of the week in order that we have a local copy of the data. I am first deleting the old local table & then carrying out a new make-table.

When I create this new make-table query though the primary key properties do not get copied to the "row-id" field of the new table.

Is there something else that I must do or is it something that I will have to do in code. If this is the case how would I go about doing this?

Cheers,
Chris

You'd be much better simply emptying the table (delete * from XXX) each day and appending the rows in. There's no advantage in doing a make-table.

Do the append query and then compact the database. You will preserve all your table properties and keep the database efficient.

First of all you do not need to delete the old table each time you run your code. The Make-Table query will overwrite the previous table.

This is the code to accomplish what are asking:

Code:
Dim db As DAO.Database
Set db = CurrentDb
DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.OpenQuery "[red][i]yourMakeTableQueryName[/i][/red]"
DoCmd.SetWarnings True
db.Execute "CREATE INDEX row-id ON [red][i]yourNewTableName[/i][/red] (row-id) WITH PRIMARY;"
db.Close

Post back if you have any questions.

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Thanks for the info Bob - it works a real treat. I must admit that it has gotten me out of rather a large hole.

Thanks again.

Chris

Chris, please to help you with the problem. Thanks for the Star.

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back