Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a Frm to establish Qry Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

agfon

Programmer
Mar 25, 2005
US
I have a form with several text and combo boxes. It it set up to allow the user to input criteria and then run a query.

In the criteria area of the query, the criteria of each column is set in the following fashion:

[blue][forms]![my_frm]![my_textbox][/blue]

The problem I'm experiencing is when the textbox is left blank (to pull all records). I've tried using the Nz() function without success. Here's an example:

[blue]Nz([forms]![my_frm]![my_textbox],Is Null or Is Not Null)[/blue]

It seems the only way around this is using the IIF() function; however, this really slow the query down. Can anyone point me in a direction that will help?

Thanks.

-agfon

=[Forms]![my_frm]![my_textbox] OR [Forms]![my_frm]![my_textbox] Is Null

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thanks PHV. That seems to work. I'm trying it out now to see if there is any performance improvements.

-agfon

PHV,

The only drawback is that it really increases the size of the SQL code when you have multiple columns utilizing this method. My query has around ten columns. When I use this method, the query fires fine. However, I cannot enter the query in design view afterwards. Access basically locks up for around 5 minutes and then provides me a message stating that there are not enough resources to open the query in design view.

-agfon

And what about the SQL view pane ?
SELECT ...
FROM ...
WHERE ([my_field1]=[Forms]![my_frm]![my_textbox1] OR [Forms]![my_frm]![my_textbox1] Is Null)
AND ([my_field2]=[Forms]![my_frm]![my_textbox2] OR [Forms]![my_frm]![my_textbox2] Is Null)
AND ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

PHV,

My SQL view pane is similar to your example. My guess is that I have too many fields that I'm trying to limit with this method.

-agfon

Is the query running ?
If yes, why going in design view ?

Hope This Helps, PH.

PHV,

The query is in the process of being adjusted to account for additional requirements.

-agfon

Simply adjust in the SQL view pane !

Hope This Helps, PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back