Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a fax on printer without land line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deskey

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
I got a question for you guys. I just recently purchased an all-in-one printer. I need to use the fax portion of it a lot. I currently don't have a home phone line and I don't want to get one installed (I just want to keep my cell phone). I heard that their is a way you can still fax out without a land line and through a cell phone instead. Is there a PCMCIA card that a cell phone can be attached to to dial out a fax? Is there a special cable that anyone knows of and where I can buy one that goes from the cell phone to the PCMCIA card? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just would hate to have to call Bell South or Sprint to come to my house to install a land line when I can do in another way.

There are cell phones that have an adapter that lets a normal rj11 connector plug in, however, that's model specific, and I personally find them annoying.

If you're looking for phone-les fax, why not use internet faxing? There are many services on the net now where you send them the document and they fax it. Some are free, some charge a modest fee, but most are cheaper than the minutes you'd pay on the cell phone. Some set up as a networked "printer" that you send jobs to, some upload the file via a web page, some have you email the file to an address where it's then auto-faxed... they all work pretty well. I've used a few, and they're generally almost as easy as a local fax. I don't want to mention any for fear of advertising, but google for "internet fax" or it's varients and see if any meet your needs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back