Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a dial up modem via an ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopsy

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
AU
I am trying to use a dial-up modem via an ATA on an NBX 100. Is this even possible? The modem won't negotiate a call successfully with the other end, but does when plugged directly into an external line. The ATA presents a dial tone properly, the modem can initiate a call, and the other end answers, but it sounds like the modems can't establish a connection properly.

I'm guessing that either the ATA isnt designed to allow modem calls (although dont some people use fax machines this way?) or there are some settings I can adjust to make it successful.

Any help appreciated.

If you can, try to turn down the speed on your modem to 14.4 kbps. I have ran into issues in the past with newer fax machines that advertise "super fast speeds". Ithink I have narrowed it down to devices using a v.94 protocol. We had a customer where we ran into an issue like this...turning the speed down to 14.4 on the modem did help although it creeped. Good luck getting help from 3com on this. Thier support has just tanked since they were recently bought out.

cknipe has it right, ATA devices on the NBX platform cannot perform faster than 14.4kbps, it's a known issue, who knows if there will ever be a fix.

Modems are not supported on an ATA as stated in the documentation, so it is unlikely that you would get support. Only fax machines and analog telephones are supported. So, why should 3Com be held responsible for supporting a configuration that is, e-hem, not supported?

A classic case of this is the client who orders PRI service, but later realizes that they need to use a credit card machine. In this situation they would need to order a separate analog line. Another case is some alarm systems, which might have only partial functionality in talking to the monitoring station.

Sometimes you get do lucky. As others have said that if you can lower the communications rate, it _might_ work. I wouldn't plan on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back