Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a Belkin KVM Switch with Dell servers - how? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

stla

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2003
DE
Good day,

I have a Belkin Cat5 KVM Switch to manage our Dell Servers.

Input is VGA and PS2 mouse and keyboard.
Output is 8 x Cat5 ports.

We use the Dell SIP module to connect to the port. This is Cat5 in. The cable then splits to 1x VGA and 1x USB.

We have connected this up to different Dell servers but we do not get any display nor keyboard activity eg. Caps Lock.

The switch is new and has been replaced out of doubt. Does anyone have any feedback on how to make this work?

Best regards

I don't work with dell KVM switches, but my first thought is "are you sure that the Dell SIP works with Belkin KVM switches?" A little googling returns that the SIP should work with Avocent switches (since that's who Dell developed them with) but nothing anywhere mentions compatibility with Belkin.

I have all HP stuff for KVM, and it all works with Dells, no problem.

Burt

Morning Burt,

Have I understood correctly, you have Dell servers connevcted to a KVM switch.

Is the KVM switch HP?
Are the connection modules (SIP) from Dell or HP?

Best regards

All HP, and yes, they work, even the USB ones.
HP IP KVM switch, HP TFT5600RKM monitor, HP part number for the connectors...USB=396663-001, PS2 cables=286597-001. All Dells work with these.

Burt

Thanks Burt,

What I have found out is that the Belkin KVM SIP modules actually have some sort of intelligence whereas I thought they were just inert cables (you can update the firmware on them).

It seems Belkin KVMs must use Belkin SIPs and do not worl with Dell SIPs.

I thought it was a case of simply plug & play!

Best regards

You fill find that they are all different. For example, you cannot use HP SIPs with Avocent KVMs etc... and I guess this is the case here. You have to stick to the cables that are made by the KVM manufacturer

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Yeah the Dell KVMs are re-branded Avocents but we've found Dell SIPs don't even work with certain Avocent KVMs. You've got no chance of a Belkin KVM working with a Dell SIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back