Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 2 NIC drives in the Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubo

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2005
US
Hey guys,

I have heard a rumor in my office, and I don't know if it is exactly true or not. They were saying that if we use 2 NIC cards on a Windows2003 Server, than the Operating System will automatically balance the load on the Cards. So the task of transfering large amounts of data from a pc to the server while at the same time accessing a database on the server, would not seem impossible. Does anyone know if windows will automatically do this?

I can't answer that as I do not know the particulars of 2003.

I can tell you that the weakest link between your work station and the server is the hard drive buffer. Even with many disks being written to the buffer size has always been the limiting factor in passing data on to and off of servers. If you can monitor your network load for a bit I am sure you will see the traffic in and out of that server is less than the line is rated for because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back