Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 2 nic cards for netbackup

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomad1945

MIS
Oct 28, 2003
US
Hello:

I have Linux running our Master Server along with a Linux Media Server,
both have 2 nic cards. Can I utilize both nic cards for backups by simply
having the host name point to both addresses on the nic, in other words
nic a and nic b different addresses however same host name.

I am wandering what if any I can gain by using both cards and how to set them up.
thanks

scott

I was under the impression that NBU cannot use multiple interfaces.
We ran into the same scenario at a remote location (Mediaserver in one state and Master in another)
We setup the media server to use a bulk data network.
We configured the NBU clients(2 nics) to use that BDN interface by editing the bp_config file.

The master server could initiate the job across the public vlan but the client could not respond across the public as NBU was set to use the BDN only.

Thus our dilema....

So in short... unless someone else has done this or you can add multiple interface entries into the bp_config. I do not think you can use multiple nics cuncurrently for NBU.

Well, Actually I found out you can have the clients point to it by:
REQUIRED_INTERFACE in the bp.conf to tell NetBackup which interface card to use. Consequently, if the NetBackup master makes reference to that client, it must use the host name specified in the client's REQUIRED_INTERFACE

This comes from netbackup support. They dont support teaming, however it does provide for some possible options to have your clients over other sub-nets use another interface therefore balancing some loads, however i dont know if am going to try and do this or not as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back