Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using 2 identical forms with different auto numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaclyn

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
US
I have an order form that is sent to customers. If the customer decided he/she wanted the items I make an invoice with the information from the order form. How do I get the information from the order form to appear on a different form, the invoice form? I would like to keep record of all the order forms (I do so using Order ID) and I would like to keep a different record of my invoices (using Invoice ID). I would like to be able to make additions to the invoice form with out altering or changing what is on the order form. Can I do this?
Thank you for your help and when you respond please know that I am new at this and need step by step guidance. THANKS AGAIN. Jaclyn

What you are proposing is completely feasible but is a big chunk of work!
The Invoice could use the OrderID as the Invoice Num as this is unique and would be easy to identify the source of any invoice data.
The Invoice could be developed from the information in Order & Order Details and written to tables of Invoices & Invoice items as the Invoice (as a report) is produced.
Additions to the Invoice Items would be possible because you are generating new records in Invoice Items not Order Items.

I build this functionality into most of my business management applications and it has taken a long time to evolve.

THANKS A LOT TRENDSETTER! Just another question: You said to develop the invoice from the information in Order and Order Details, You mean use the same information will be in Invoice and Invoice Items and Order and Order Details right? If all these tables have the same information, how to I fix their relationship? And how does this make a report? THANK YOU THANK YOU TRENDSETTER

There are 2 ways to consider this:
1 - If the information in the Order & orderItems table in not going to change and will be consistent then you don't need to re-write the info into the Invoice & InvoiceItems tables but just record the Nett Amount plus and Tax amount plus Date, Invoice Num and maybe notes.(You get the Cust info from the Order which has the same Num as the Invoice)
2 - If the info in the Order & orderItems table will change ie: Basic terms - install & configure Software .. then on the invoice you record which software. Then you need to rewrite the base info into Invoice & invoiceItems tables. This would be done as a straight swop of data data from one set of fields to another but you would only save the changed fields.
You don't need to set up any relationship to effect this transfer as the info you are writing is new to the Invoice & InvoiceItems tables. To make a report use a query from the Invoice & InvoiceItems tables, link in the Order table so that you can identify the Customer.
Need any more.... let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back