Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uses order generates a virus in Delphi 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBaz

Technical User
Jun 6, 2000
ES
I'm interested in using DLL's in Delphi 5 and being new to the whole DLL 'thing' I thought I'd follow a tutorial on actually creating one first, (which can be found at
The problem is that as soon as I compile the DLL, my AV software (AVG) picks it up as a Backdoor.Bionet virus and tells me to run the main AV program to remove it. When this is done, I go back to the project folder and the newly created DLL has been deleted! :)

I've checked and double-checked and when my DLL is not there I do NOT have the virus anywhere else on my system - nor the files which should be there (like Procmon.exe). The expected backdoor entries in the registry are also not there. (I've spent a considerable amount of time researching Backdoor.Bionet on the net).

So, I could only assume that there was something in the DLL example which was fooling the AV software into thinking it was a malicious file. At first I suspected the 'Hello World' string, but it did the same whatever text string I used.

Just out of curiosity I decided to check if I might have an infection in the Delphi include files which weren't being picked up by AVG (doubtful I know, but I was getting desperate).

I started by commenting out each of the uses clauses one by one and by accident, I discovered that if you change the *order* of the uses clauses, the resulting DLL is not 'infected'.

For example:

uses SysUtils, Dialogs, Classes;

results in a 'virus-free' DLL, whereas the tutorial example of:

uses SysUtils, Classes, Dialogs;

makes my background AV guard throw a wobbler and I have to delete the DLL!

Has anyone else found this problem or knows what is causing it?

Barrie

By sheer chance you're generating the virus signature in your DLL when you have the uses clause in that order. It's nothing to worry about, and since you have found a trivial way to avoid it, I suggest doing thta and moving along. Count it as a very cool anecdote.

You could report it as an 'anomaly' to AVG, but I doubt they'll do anything with the info :-( I'm assuming you use the free version of AVG? That'l make matters worse ;-)
Also, AVG isn't the best AV package around... you could try to scan the DLL on a system with another AV tool, like Norton or McAfee, and see what 'they' have to say about it?

HTH
TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back