Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users unable to change password

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGDT

Technical User
Sep 4, 2006
GB
We have a number of users who are getting the 'password does not meet complexity requirements' message when trying to change their passwords.

If we change the password for them via AD it works fine (even when using the exact same password that the user is getting the error message for)!

The passwords in question meet the complexity requirements which have been set.

Has anyone come across this problem before or have any idea how to get round it?

I've had this on Windows XP and it was a bug. MS did do a hotfix only avaliable from PSS directly although I believe it was rolled out as part of SP2.

What client are you using? (including SP please!)

Also, is there anything in the event log both locally and on the DC? Finally, maybe worth checking a few things such as multiple clients, different version etc. if they are avaliable to you.

Also try:

net user %username% /domain

and see what is reported in there. (See if AD reports they have rights to change their own password)

Other tools such as loading the acctinfo.dll file into AD. (Google it - some MS add on pack I think)

Good Luck,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

As an administrator when resetting passwords in AD you dont need to meet password complexity requirements. Feature or bug your choice. My guess is they are probably reusing a previous password.

Hope this helps,

RoadKi11

Take a look at your password policy->minimum password age. When you initially set a user's password they may not be able to change it for at 1day. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back