Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users states UNREAD emails in inbox automatically change to READ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokie97VT

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2009
We have an executive management user who states that she has UNREAD emails in her inbox that apparently change to READ without her ever opening the email. She is missing reading this emails and thus not communicating effectively. Sometimes it evens changes to READ when she just hovers the mouse over the said email.

No other user in our EXCHANGE environment has complained of this issue and we are unable to reproduce this when we are at her station.

Can anyone please provide any guidance or items to investigate.

Thank you.

I have been experiencing this with our Managers using the exchange server 2003 in conjunction with there Blackberry's or I Phones. Once the user even just highlights that app on the hand device all messages in Outlook 2007 go to read. It could be that this is what you are seeing as well. It has not been on the top of my ToDo list but am curious as well on how to stop it.

This specific user doesn't have a iPhone or Blackberry that I am aware of unless some one is viewing her email on their phone.

Is she using Outlook as her e-mail client and is she using the reading pane? If so then check the settings that she has for her reading pane (Tools ->Options then click on the Other tab and click on "Reading Pane..."). There is an option there to "mark items as read when viewed in the reading pane" and the default wait time is 5 seconds. Make sure that this option is not checked.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

But that is if she views in the reading pane the message, she states she doesn't even select some of the emails and they change on their own.

As the e-mail comes in it is automatically selected and shown in the reading pane. If 5 e-mails come in at once then only one of them (usually the last, but not always) is selected and shown in the reading pane. Therefore, she doesn't have to physically select it. If she is away from her desk and receives an e-mail then receives another a few minutes later then the first one will likely no longer be showing as unread if she has her reading pane options set as I described above.

Hope this helps.

Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks.

I am checking her Outlook now and that box is NOT checked and she continues to have the issue.

Exchange does show a different user logging into the person mailbox on system manager, but this person has not shared her inbox with anyone.

A different user will show as logging into the mailbox if that other person has even "read" rights to your problem user's calendar.

Check that the problem user has no delegates set.

You say that you can't reproduce the problem when you are at her workstation and that she is the only person having problems. That really sounds like user problem. She has to be doing something that's causing the mails to change to unread. If it's happening on a fairly regular basis have you stood over her and watched what she is doing?

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back