Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users per processor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krajci

MIS
Feb 15, 2000
US
My organization is considering Metaframe 1.8 for Windows NT, Terminal Server Edition.  We are looking to get a very high-end server to run this on (quad 650 Xeon processors, with 4 GB of RAM and a RAID 5), but I have heard in the past there is a rough formula of users to processr(s) capability.  Any ideas?

With our benchmark testing along with the Citrix documentation, we have found that 12 users per processor is the best fit to our needs.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>That means we will max a quad at 50 users.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, we have also found the (2)dual processors are much more robust that a single quad processor.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>

I would agree with Vince.<br><br>We have also found that the memory used by each user is critical - you must allow enough memory so that no paging occurs. If NT starts to page it goes rather slowly.<br><br>There are some rules of thumb for this (8mb per user, 16mb per user, 4mb per user) but it depends completely upon what your users are running.<br><br>Mike <p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Our experience gives us over 100 per quad processor - oftentimes up to about 150. we have over 2Gb of memory on our boxes.<br><br>How applications are installed under Citris makesa difference - make sure they are universally installed so memory can be shred. Otherwise they run in separate partitions per user and consume vast quantities of RAM.<br><br>There are some excellent benchmarks on user ratios at the COMPAQ web site - look for white papers for MS Office, & SAP in particular

&quot;Your mileage may vary...&quot; <p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back