Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users logging in remotely - how can I stop them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nattylou

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2003
My boss and I have agreed that we want a very limited number of people to be able to log into our W2003 network from home over our VPN but need a solid argument to give to stop people requesting it.

So far, the best I can think of (other than I don't want them thinking they can call me at all hours because their home internet is broken) is that it may corrupt the backup procedure. Not strictly true I know but...

Anyone got any good tips to get me out of letting the loonies on out of work hours?

Thanks!!!!

Nat

Can't give you any excuses becasue I don't agree with you. However, if you want to stop VPN you can just remove the dial-in access (assuming your are using a M$ VPN service)

If they are using there home computers tell them it is a security issue, mainly because you can confirm Antivirus or if there computer has been compromised....

If they are using laptops and images your company provides then there should be no reason to stop them..

I see nothing at all wrong with limiting remote access. We currently allow about 5% or so of the workforce to use the VPN. If you have webmail set up then most of the remote-access requirement is met by that.

Say that it's a security and support issue, which is true.

Thanks all, I came up with a few reasons, including security. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Just to clarify, I have no problem at all with people logging in remotely but the level of users that are requesting it is not appropriate. The higher level managers etc are already allowed.

Thanks again.

N

can anyone tell me the real risks of a VPN on a home computer to our network? I have managers ask for this and I know they can just access their computer thu a remote desktop I'm really against it because I would have no control over their computers, AV software or any spyware. any ideas.

lowest hanging fruit.

Its easier for me to take control of a home pc and wait for it to connect to a VPN than to try to gain access to a corporate network trough a firewall etc.

And its harder for you to find me once I am in.

Remember a VPN IS exactly like being on your WAN.

Don't forget if they're connecting to your network and its a MS one then you will need to buy additional CAL's for all the other PC's.

Regards,
Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back