Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users log on locally not into Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pistol34

MIS
Nov 17, 1999
US
I have about 30 users that log on to there win2000 workstations locally. They access network resource because the user name and passwords match on the server. I wouldn't have done this, but it's what I got to work with. Everyone wants security and group permissions, but if you don't log into the domain you don't become part of groups.

I would just tell everyone to log on to the domain, but we have a number of profile specfic applications. A couple of our software packages store vital info the hkey/currentuser Logging onto the domain means different profile. New desktop and apps that need to be reconfiged.

Can I use roaming or network based profile? Could I copy the local profile somehow?

Thanks

should be able to.Log in as user set desktop the way you want login as admin go to system users profiles click on the users and copy to the server.Make sure you have a folder that you can store them in (not all users folder did that wiped out all profiles for admin had to reload server.)Then edit the user and put the path into their profile path pointing to the server.This is of course just the step to making them a roaming profile.I think you could call the folder you create roaming and then just point each user you want, to that folder in their profile path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back