Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

users locked out whilst still logged in??

Status
Not open for further replies.

derson

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
GB
win2k AD native sp3 certain users are logged in when they become locked out and lose things like network printers because of permissions although are still signed on eben though on AD users and comuters says logged out??
thanks in advance
derson

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills
and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Doesn't happen to occur after they change their password does it?

I always have our users log off/log on after they change their password because I found that if they didn't, their accounts eventually got locked out.

Reason is they'd log on with passworda, change it to passwordb, but until they logged off and back on, their account was authorized with passworda which now is the incorrect password.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

When a user logs into some other machine on the network and forget to log out, then they change their password, lockouts will start to happen on a periodic basis because that machine they are logged into is attempting to renew their ticket, but since the account is logged in with an old password, the ticket renewal fails. The repeated failures causes the lockout. Check to make sure the locked out users are not logged in on other machines, and as lander suggested, have them log out of their system if they haven't done so since the password change.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

I have the same problem with some clients on my network. Not sure if it's user error, but I don't think so as it's happened to me on a user's PC. No password changes or anything, just all of a sudden my account is locked out while trying to access network resources.

If your client machines are Win9x, try loading the DSClient. It's on your Win2k Server CD or download the latest version from Microsoft.

You may also want to make sure no services are using your account to run.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Also if people are making terminal service connections make sure the log off the terminal service sessions when finished, if they just use the disconnect option it doesn't fully close the session and appears to poll periodically from the TS server using the credentials from the disconnected session which will cause a lock-out.

thanks for all your replies ..user only on one machine,not password related but they are using terminal services (CITRIX)so i will look at re nicks reply
many thanks
anderson

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills
and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back