Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User's Current PC....? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed2020

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
GB
Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct forum for this question!

My network at work comprises of desktop PCs running WinXP Pro, servers running Windows Server 2003 and authentication/authorisation through Active Directory.

I have the facility to see who is currently logged onto a particular PC using psloggedon from sysinternals but it would also be useful to query which PC(s) a particular user is logged onto.

I've had a look through the AD database with ADExplorer (also from sysinternals) but can't see this information anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Is this even possible?

Many thanks,

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

A quick and easy way to do this would be to have:

hostname > h:\pc.txt

in your login script to write a text file with the hostname in to the user's home directory (or anywhere).

or even:

hostname > z:\%username%.txt and map Z: to a central location.

Would that do the trick for you?

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

We expand on what Mike does by logging time, user, and PC. We end up with a log file for each system showing who logged on/off and what time. There is also a user file showing what PC they logged onto, the time, and the time they logged off. The scripts are defined as logon/logoff scripts in AD. We also log system startup/shutdown events.

Mike,

Nice, simple solution. Have a star.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Cheers Ed - My pleasure!

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back