Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users cant login

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2008
US
Hi all,
I have a network of one domain, when i add a users domian account to local users of a computer the user cant login. The only way they can login to the computer if they are added to the local computers power users or admin group. I m trying to restrict users from installing stuff on their computers, and changing desktop backgrounds/screen savers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are all pc's joined to the domain? Also this could be a DNS issue as well.

1. Are all computers joined to the domain?
2. When logging on, make sure that the users are logging on to the domain rather than the local computer.
3. To restrict users from installing stuff on their computers, and changing desktop backgrounds/screen savers do not add the users to the local users group on the computer. If they are logging on to the domain they can do so without being a user on the local computer.
4. Use Group Policy to restrict what users can do on the local computer.

Cheers.

What is the error message that you receive?? Perhaps there is a Group Policy set to allow only Administrators and Power Users the ability to log on locally (Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment -> Allow log on locally)??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back