Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users cannot longer logon after taken down BDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wish01

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
US
Hi, I have been having this problem for days now and I couldn't find a clue.
I have a Windows NT 4.0 domain environment running Small Business Server with about 100 client machines.
I installed a second BDC with the purpose to synchronize with the PDC and removed for a lab test to upgrade to Windows 2003.
This new BDC, it seems to respond faster to logon requests. All users are authenticated with this machine.
Now, when I try to take it out of the network, users get a message like: not logon server available or bad user name or password. Stand alone servers seems to loose trust relationship with the domain and everything is a mess.
If I put back the new BDC on line, everything is back to normal.
I have the latest services packs, I have run manual synchronization before to remove the new BDC but nothing changes.
I am running WINS only on my Exchange Server 5.5
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thank you

I had this same issue a week or so ago. Every time I'd take down the BDC, suddenly no one could logon.

If you go to the PDC, open a command prompt, and type nbtstat -n. If there is a Conflict by your domain-name<1C> entry, I know what might be the solution to your problem.

Hi nodowntime,
I followed your thread before and I checked that. Unfortunately, I don't see a conflict by the domain name.
(INet~Services <1C> Group Registered)
It is like workstations are always looking the new BDC for authentication, and cannot see the PDC or the original BDC.
Thank you for your answer.
George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back