Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

users can enter database without joining workgroup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellohello1

Technical User
Jun 30, 2006
US
I have a Access 2003 database called HA_PAD.mdb on a shared drive. My colleague created a workgroup HA_PAD.mdw file. But I'm not sure if the HA_PAD.mdw was created correctly.

We are asking new users to join the workgroup manually by following the directions below:

Open MS Access. (Via a shortcut under Programs or directly via C: Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE)
Click on Tools on the menu bar
Click on Security in the drop down menu
Click on Workgroup Administrator…
In the Workgroup Administrator menu click on the Join command button
Browse to the HA_PAD.mdw via S:\Program Management\AD Project Health\HA_PAD.mdw
Click OK

The problem is, if the user doesn't follow the directions above to join the workgroup, they can still enter the database.

I have 2 questions:
1). How to force the users to join the workgroup
2). Is there a way to automatically join them so users don't have to follow the directions above?

Thanks!

1.) No but you can keep them out. What you are missing in understanding is that the Admin User and the Users Group are universal to all workgroups. By default the user to log in is Admin and is in the Users Group. If you do not want anyone not using the workgroup file to not use the file at all, you need to remove permissions for these. Typically I let admin have the base or default permission to avoid having everyone use the workgroup file. This may not work for you.

2.) You can give them a shortcut that opens Access using command line switches to open a specific workgroup...

Code:
"C: Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" /wrkgrp "X:\HA_PAD.mdw" "X:\Application.MDB"

Obviously you will have to fix up the paths to your files as necessary.

thanks for writing.

1). you wrote: "By default the user to log in is Admin and is in the Users Group. If you do not want anyone not using the workgroup file to not use the file at all, you need to remove permissions for these"

How do I remove permissions for the Admin User and the Users Group?

2). I created a batch file with the following:
@echo off
"C:program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" /wrkgrp "\\nct0010bpf\Common\Program Management and Centers of Excellence\AD Project Health Assessment\PAD\HA_PAD.mdw" "\\nct0010bpf\Common\Program Management and Centers of Excellence\AD Project Health Assessment\PAD\HA_PAD.mdb"

Then I created a shortcut to the batch file.

As a test, I joined another workgroup (called TestSecurity.mdw). Then I clicked the Batch shortcut and went to Tools, Security.

But instead of being joined to HA_PAD.mdw, I was still joined to TestSecurity.mdw. Does that mean my shortcut isn't working correctly? Or is it related to my first problem--do I first need to remove permissions for the Admin User and the Users Group?

Thanks,

1). The same way you set permissions for any other object...
Tools, Security, Usaer and Groups Security... Hopefully from there it is intuitive.

2). Go into the User And Group Accounts instead and see if it is not working off the workgroup specified on the command line... I'm not sure what the Workgroup Administrator reports the active workgroup when you start a workgroup via the comand line. Technically the default Join to workgroup is the same you are just using a different one. Since the Workgroup Administrator used to be a separate program, it stands to reason the integration may not have been thought through or changed to be more intuitive. I'm not using workgroups in my current environment or I would test it.

1). Do I do this in the mdb file or the mdw file? I went to Tools, Security, User and Group Accounts. I clicked on the Groups tab and selected Users from the drop down. I clicked Delete, but got a message 'Cannot perform this operation'.

2)."Go into the User And Group Accounts instead and see if it is not working off the workgroup specified on the command line".

In User and Group Accounts, there is nothing about command lines. Did you mean Tools, Options, Advanced?

I went to Tools, Options, Advanced and the Command-line arguments field is blank.

Do i have to follow CharlieT302's suggestion in this post:

If so, he wrote: "You need to create an alternate administrative user account complete with password".

How do I do that? Is that done in the mdb or the mdw?

He then wrote: "Remove the default Admin user from the Users group and strip both of all rights"

That is what you said to do. I still can't find where to do that. Is that done in the mdb or the mdw?

Thanks for your patience with me!

I am talking about removing permissions from objects in your MDB file. You should ensure you have a user with permission to administer, change etc. all the objects in the database other than admin first.

Since you don't understand the permissions, I have to ask, why are you using a workgroup file in the first place?

someone else created the workgroup file, but it wasn't created corrrectly so i'm trying to fix it.

i read about security and permissions, but many times things were vague, like your instructions above. it's all a bit confusing.

thanks,

I never did get around to follow up FAQ's but check out...

faq181-6670

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back