Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users call another office and hear their own voicemail prompt when calling out and back in on SIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdennis76

ISP
Dec 10, 2012
US
I have discovered a weird problem with a multi site location that all share a common voicemail pro.

IPO Server Edition 10.0.4.5
appx 400 IP phones at 20 locations
Centralized Voicemail Pro
SIP trunking

If Ext1000 at site A, dials the 7 digit DID for Ext2000 at site B, the calls goes out a SIP trunk and back in on the same SIP trunk. If the Person at site B Ext2000 does not answer their phone, it forwards to voicemail and the caller at Site A hears "Extn1000, please enter your password".

Obviously Extn1000 should just dial the 4 digit extn and avoid going out the sip trunk but in a network this big, users may not be aware who is on the system and who isn't.

Someone suggested this may be caused by a SIP refer message. Have any of you ever seen this? Any thoughts? I think I've seen this before on smaller systems while making test calls out of the system and back in so it might be something the SIP vendor and I are configuring incorrectly.

Thanks,
Jason

It is up to you to route the calls internally on this case. If they dial numbers within there own trunk then route it over the scn.
And yes I have seen that sort of strange stuff.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

why would you even route a call out and back in, as stated it should go across the SCN dialing just the extension number

I agree Joe, but nevertheless the caller should not get his own VM prompts in that case.

I understand that, maybe a reboot may be in order

Obviously Extn1000 should just dial the 4 digit extn and avoid going out the sip trunk but in a network this big, users may not be aware who is on the system and who isn't.

why not put in a short code for the 7digit DDI that translates it back to the internal extn number,
the cust may even thank you for this when they see that they are no-longer paying for calls to themselves :)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back