Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users Are Getting Around Group policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

qweasdzxcqweasdzxc

Technical User
Sep 12, 2006
US
All of the settings seem to work except for one. This setting is the prevent changing wallpaper setting. The users get the "disabled by administrator" message when they right click the desktop and then click properties. But sometimes it appears as if they click ok past that message and the display properties appears and allows them to change the wall paper. The control panel has been removed by the policy as well as the run so they cant change the wall paper that way......I'm running windows 2003 server and xp pro sp2. Any ideas?

This always has been a weak GPO. There are ways around it, such as right click on an image on a web page and say "set as wall paper". It only takes the control panel option away, not lock down the feature.

If you specify a corporate standard wall paper you can force the wall paper that everyone will look at.

If you specify bogus wall paper at a bogus location it will result in no wall paper.

In the instances where a custom wall paper is already in place you may have to hunt down the file and registry settings in order to get back to a no wallpaper state.

The only way to ensure it remains is to force specific wallpaper. I found that using vbscript rather than the GPO worked best. Using script you can also determine IF the current wallpaper is what you set and if not do a nice little pop up box that lets the user know that their manager is being notified that they are not using the company standard image. Depending on the size of your organization, this can have quite and effect.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back