Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users And Speed/Performance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valendil

Technical User
Aug 21, 2005
CA
Not sure how to explain it really, but is there any loss of speed by logging on to the server?

I mean when you are at the login screen, you are given two options. Log on to local computer, or log on to the domain server. I was wondering, If I have a PC geared towards gaming, and I want to run say Doom 3, and I log on to the domain rather than local computer, will I lose any performance in the game?

I'm curious as to how that all works out and what parts are computer end and what parts are server end. My server isn't entirely junk (P4 2.33, 512MB duel channel ram, around 900gb of storage), and my gaming PC can handle Doom 3 on highest settings while logged on to local PC, but I haven't tried anything while logged on to the domain user account (if you poke around the forums you can see my question on users :) ) which is why I ask.

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back