Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Username Cannot Resolve to Exchange In Another Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

NerdyOne

MIS
Oct 16, 2001
US
I have an Exchange 2003 running in one domain, called one.example.com.

I created a new domain in the same forest called two.example.com.

Then I used the ADMT to move the user accounts from one.example.com to two.example.com.

From a local PC, I logged into the new domain and try to configure Outlook, I get the following message:

"The name could not be resolved."

Is this even possible with what I'm trying to do, or do I need a second Exchange server?

The Titanic was built by engineers. The Ark was built by an amateur.

I forgot to mention...

The trust has been established and validated (it's a two-way trust).

Also, I gave it over the weekend to replicate so I'd hope it would have worked this morning.

ADUC for two.example.com shows the correct mailbox store and all, but it's just not authenticating.

They are on the same LAN, but on different subnets.

one.example.com is 192.168.60.x (Exchange & 7+ servers)

two.example.com is 192.168.70.x (new domain & 1 server)

We have the second domain seperated out for organizational and security purposes (sensitive data). That's the reason they're on a seperate subnet as well as a seperate domain.

Erm, ok. Sensitive data I'd just put onto shares secured using NTFS / group membership via AD. Especially if you are trying to have trusts between the domains.

They are linked somehow - one server straddling both?

Zelandakh,

You're right, the server is straddling both.

The good news is I was overlooking one important step. I didn't know to run the /domainprep from the Exchange CD on the new domain.

Now I can I migrate the exisiting users from the old domain and into the new one. But I haven't found out how to make a new user yet. More research to come! :)

Thank you to all who helped me. It's great to have a support group like this.

You're migrating the users? I'd understood it that the domains were separate for security reasons.

Well at least you are making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back