Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Username and password , please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batmaniac

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
US
Hi,
guys, I'm having a bad time configuring a VPN through ADSL speedstream 5200 Modem (in router mode)with PF(port forwarding) in pptp/1723 (tcp and udp just in case).
here is the problem...
when I'm on the LAN and try to connect everything runs "smoothly" but when I try through internet the RRAS do not authenticate any user (even if I setup to the PAP and the unauthenticated access ON).
I've already try PF UDP and TCP from 0 to 65535 (just for the test) and didn't work.
I don't know where sould I look for now...
could any of you help me please...
and sorry about my very bad english
thank in advance..

Rodrigo Ferreira
MSCE wannabe :)

the error is 721 (something like "no response from server"), just like it won't reach the server, but the negotiation beggins, the authentication did not respond. First I thoutgh it was a PF problem but I tested with all ports on PF.

Rodrigo Ferreira
MCSE wannabe :)

Bat,

You say that you're port forwarding pptp/1723, so I'm guessing you have a PPTP VPN server in your LAN. My guess is that you're only forwarding TCP (IP protocol 6) port 1723 to this server, when in fact you should also port forward GRE (IP protocol 47) port 47 as well. Let me know if that isn't clear.

didn't work
even with tcp/udp 4500,5000 and 10000 also.

I'm now getting the error 628, "The connectio was terminated by the remote computer...".
I don't know if it is better or not...
I'm using only PAP (unencrypted) if it cloud be of any help..

c'mon guys, I still need help...

Rodrigo Ferreira

I had the exact same problem. It just seemed that I was getting through to the Remote router but no responce was able to come back to me.

If you are behind a router tryin to connect to the VPN Server, make sure that you have PPTP Pass Through enabled. It worked for me. Hope it helps you. Thanks,

Darryl

amaihar,
when you said "Pass Though", this is the same thing that Port Forwarding, right?
If it is, it´s already done (PPTP/1723). If it isn´t please, explain it to me...

Rodrigo Ferreira

I´ve done a test to assure that the problem is the(F***) Modem/Router.
I did a setup to a bridge configuration, when the comp got the real IP, works fine, but I need it behind a NAT (modem/router)
can anyone please try to help me? [sadeyes]

thanks in advance...

Rodrigo Ferreira
MCSE wnnabe :)

Batmaniac, I'm having the exact same problem on a 5200 speedstream. I though upgrading the firmware would help. Did you try this?

This model of modem/router is manageable only when a firmware update is made, so I've done it.
it is a Speedstream 5200

I know it's not a good router, but it's supposed to to do the job.

any ideas?

Rodrigo Ferreira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back