Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usermod command saying insufficient space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2008
US
when I try to do a usermod -d /usr/tester/<userid> -m <userid> I recieve error saying that UX: usermod: ERROR: There is not sufficient space to move.

I can do a simple usermod -d /usr/tester/<userid> <userid> and it works fine. Just having a problem when doing the -m to copy the directory now

The users home directory currently resides on an NFS mount and I am trying to move it to another NFS mounted share.

Make sure you have write permissions on the new share.

I do have write permissions set on it. I am able to manually copy the files or use rsync to copy from dir to dir. It seems that the only thing I am able not to do is the usermod with the -m option.

have you tried moving it manually, then update the /etc/passwd?

I would try running the usermod command under truss -o /tmp/usermod.truss -aef usermod ... and then examine the output file to try and determine which system calls were returning incorrect information about free space.

Have you tried asking Sun?

Annihilannic.

Annihilannic
-------------
I'm not familiar with truss; but will give it a try and see what I can find/see in the output as a lead.

Haven't tried asking sun as of yet. Will get the output and involve them as I am sure the output will be helpful for them to diagnose.

ToMaC82
--------
I could copy the contents manually with rsync and then execute a usermod -d /usr/tester/<userid> <userid>. But I would really like to get the -m to work as it is intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back