Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

userinit.exe error after logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

lako

MIS
Dec 14, 2003
DE
Hi there,

The System:
Windows Server 2000 (SP4), Exchange Server 2000

First of all a description of what happend...
After a chkdsk of the system partition, the registry files were damaged. While booting windows showed a bluescreen with a message that the software hive was corrupt. So I restored a backup set of all of the registry files and voila, windows starts up again.

But after I log on as Administrator on this server, I get the following error message twice.

----
userinit.exe

16-Bit-MS-DOS-Teilsystem
c:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe
Die NTVDM-CPU hat einen ungültigen Befehl entdeckt.
CS:0f4c IP:0166 OP:fe 5f fc 57 f7 Klicken Sie auf "Schließen", um die Anwendung zu beenden.
----

Translated this would look like:

----
userinit.exe

16-Bit-MS-DOS-Subsystem
c:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe
The NTVDM-CPU detected an invalid instruction.
CS:0f4c IP:0166 OP:fe 5f fc 57 f7 Hit "Close" to exit the application.
----

After closing this message twice, the system does not load the explorer shell. I have to run task manager via CTRL-ALT-DEL and run explorer.exe myself, then the desktop loads like usual. I did not find any other problems yet, but I have to get rid of the problem described above. Can anyone help?

Bye

Lars

Found the solution. userinit.exe was corrupted as well. Replacing it with a 'fresh' version fixed the problem.

Bye

Lars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back