Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Userid won't run exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjvktv

Programmer
Sep 26, 2001
US
I have a project that was created using VB. It is a batch processing job that is run by Contol-M. The problem I'm having is that when I logon to the server using my Userid the exe runs as expected. But when I logon using the applications userid it won't kick off the job. When I add the userid to the admin group it is able to kick off the job.

I have checked the obvious things:
The application userid DOES HAVE read and executable rights.

Can anybody help?

If I were you, I'd get the tools 'Filemon' and 'dllmon' from and run them while you are trying to execute your app in the context of the application user. This would allow you to figure out which file or dll accesses are failing, and you would then be able to appropriately assign permissions.

Another thing you could do is turn on auditing on the workstation (or domain) that you are running the application on and audit the invocation of user rights. It could be that the admin group has some special process-level rights that the standard account doesn't have, and auditing user right failures might tip you off to what sort of action is failing.

That's a start, anyway.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back