Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

userid/password folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techexpressinc

Programmer
Oct 28, 2008
US
We have an website with a folder that userid/password protected. Is it possible for to pass the userid/password to the server?

The situtation is that is the employee area. So, when the employees log-in from the office; they do not to enter the userid/password. If they enter from some place other than the office we need them to enter the userid/password.

So, is there a way to can get the ip see the ip is the office ip then not require the password by passing it on to the server somehow?

Is this pie in the sky thinking?

Thanks for any help or direction.
Russ at techexpressinc.com

This probably isn't a javascript question. It can be done, but will probably require a custom solution. At least I don't know how to do it using apache's authentication. You might be able to pull it off using mod_rewrite. Have some rule for an ip that rewrites the url with a username and password in it. I've never tried anything like it, but its probably worth a shot. Are you familiar with mod_rewrite?

-----------------------------------------
I cannot be bought. Find leasing information at

I am not familiar "mod_rewrite".

I have done some javascript and php but I would rate my self only as a beginner. not intermediate yet, intermediate at html thou.

You can see the current page at

Thanks for the help.
Russ

mod_rewrite is an apache module. If you want a solution using apache's authentication, try here . Your alternative is a custom php solution, that you can ask for here .

-----------------------------------------
I cannot be bought. Find leasing information at

Jaxtell - thanks for your help, I thought it might be a little too heavy for javascript.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back