Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user w/o mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

roeiboot

Technical User
Feb 10, 2002
US
oi~

i have a few users that don't use their email box, how do i disable the email box all together ?? they do keep their home dir & stuff.

o, i run Linux RedHat 7.1

--
thanks!

Hi all,

You can use the command userdel name_user each one or can make a script to list all the users and then delete them all.

I hope that help you.

andybrr; will that delete the users-mailbox ? i mean i don't want to delete the user but only his/hers mail plus also prevent mail coming in @ that email address.

thanks.

Most servers with mail enabled will accept all mail and you need to tell the mail server what to do with the mail that can't be delivered. Try forum921 if you are using postfix.

All system users will receive mail, there is no way to stop that. If you were to delete '/var/spool/mail/$user' the file will be recreated when mail is received for the user.

You can try adding "username error:nouser" to your virtusertable *assuming you're using sendmail* which will reject mail to the specified user

Hope this helps

Good luck

An easy solution is to add aliases for the users to the aliases file, redirecting the mail to someone else like postmaster. That will prevent mail going to the mailboxes of these users.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back