Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User unable to send Internet Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilEvelyn

Programmer
Feb 17, 2003
GB
I have a client running Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 using Active Directory.

All the users except one had their accounts moved across from their old Exchange 5.5 on NT4. All these accounts work ok.

However, we setup a new user through AD and their account works for internal mail but internet mail items remain in the Outlook outbox. We have checked the account details and everything is correct (and tested using Outlook Express).

We have checked that it is the user and not the Office installation that is the problem.

We "copied" the account within 5.5 and the new user works fine this way, but not if we "create" a new account.

Anyone have any ideas what is happening.

All suggestions will be very greatfully received.

Phil

Delivery Restriction page of the IMC properties in Microsoft Exchange Administrator allows you to select the users you wish to grant or deny Internet mail access. This may be your problem. It sure sounds like it. LEt me know if this helps. EB

Thanks for the suggestion but did not help.

Have checked and the IMC is definitely set to allow everyone access.

Hope you can think of another avenue of attack.

Phil

Phil,

I take it you have checked this users smtp address and X400 address? You could try deleting these and recreating.

Also, you dont mention wether the user can receive external mail? How does the user connect to the server, is it direct on the LAN or through VPN/dial-up etc.

Cheers

I have checked the smtp address and x400 and all are correct. I have deleted the user and recreated him about ten times now and it still does not connect.

The user can only receive internal mail, no external mail through Outlook. However, I have used the same details in Outlook Express to create his account and all works fine there, just not in Outlook.

Oh, and its a LAN connection.

Phil

This sounds to me like the microsoft exchange driver is corrupt or not setup properly. This is located under the control panel, and mail and fax or under outlook Tools menu, then services. Outlook express uses POP3 and SMTP to send and receive messages. Outlook uses LDAP to do this thru exchange. (If the exchange server driver is loaded). As a test and a work around, unload every mail service listed and add the internet mail service and configure. Then open outlook and test. This should enable you to use outlook just like outlook express, so this should work as a work-around. To further diag the problem, if this works. Remove Internet Mail service, and install only the exchange service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back