Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User unable to open Groupwise Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revvy

MIS
Jan 17, 2002
GB
I have a user who all of a sudden cannot access his GroupWise client. Error:"Grpwise.exe has experienced a critical error - you need to restart."
I have tried different machines and the only common link is the user. I have scanned the Novell site and it suggests the user database has been corrupted, and then follows instructions to do this. I have done a structure check on this user and it says there are no problems.

Interestingly enough the user can access his email via our GroupWise web server, so the question is, has the user database been corrupted or not? If so and they need a new user database, will they loose all there email (I can't see a way of archiving from the web server).

Is there any other solutions to this problem?

FYI We are running GroupWise 5.5 on a Novell 4.11 Server.:-(

You might try to reset the user's GroupWise client options through NWAdmin.

Can you get into GroupWise at all as this user? If so, you can archive the entire contents of this Users mailbox, delete the GroupWise User account, then re-create a new GroupWise account for this User.

Once this has been completed, Novell has a utility called the GroupWise 5.x Archive FID Editor. You can download it from the following URL...

This utility will allow you to modify the FID of the archive file that you originally created with all of the Users Mail in it, and change it to show the new FID from the newly created GroupWise account.

*Note - Each GroupWise User has a FID, or File ID, that is unique to each User. You can determine what a Users FID is by using NWADMIN32, selecting the DETAILS of a User, then the GROUPWISE ACCOUNT tab. About half way down you will see the "File ID:". This is the FID for this User.

Once this has been completed, you can go into the archive and UN-archive all of the mail, if desired.

The readme files explains how exactly to use it.

Good Luck!

I cant get into the client at all to archive.

The client options within NWADMIN only seem to change the options once your in groupwise, there is nothing mentioned for access to the software initally.

I have even tried renameing another userxxx.db file but that displays a locked error.

Any other ideas welcome.

Cheers

Is the User trying to access the GroupWise Post Office via IPX, UNC or TCPIP?

Try using TCPIP to access the PO. On the GroupWise shortcut, modify the Command line...

C:\NOVELL\GROUPWISE\GRPWISE.EXE /bl /IPA-<IP Address of GW Server> /IPP-1677

See if this helps.

Good Luck.

Tried UNC, IP Address, NT, 2000, still only seems to affect one user, it appears still to be fine from web browser but that is not ideal.

We have found occasional bizarre problems like this to be the result of corruption in the Windows 2000 user profile, rather than anything wrong with GroupWise itself.

The only workaround to similar difficulties for us has been to delete the user's profile in Win2000 and recreate.

Are you pushing a single roaming profile down to the user somehow? Or are you using ZEN to create profiles dynamically on various machines? We are a Netware 5.0 SP6a environment running GroupWise 6.1 on all Windows 2000 workstations, and these sorts of issues began after the migration to Windows 2000.

I've had this problem before,

if you are using win 2000 as the o/s reinstall the client but make sure you are logged into win 2000 as the user you are installing it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back