Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User-Specific "Recordset not updatable" problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensibilium

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
Hi folks,

It's been a long time since I posted a question here, and finally after many days of frustration and head-banging, I find I have nowhere left to turn.

-- Access Runtime 2K -- Front End & Multiple Back Ends --

Basically my problem lies in a form (with subform), Purchase Order form to be precise, in which certain users (stored in the shared system.mdw file) have no problems updating/adding/deleting the data within the form. Other users however receive the annoying warning "This recordset is not updateable" and obviously they can't update owt.

Anyway, I've looked at the underlying query (no problem), I have checked the permissions on the local install folder of the front-end (all ok), the permissions on the back-end databases (all ok), and the permissions on the share to the back-ends (all ok).

Each computer is correctly joined to the shared system.mdw, and each table, query, report, etc have the same settings as one of the users for which the form works. The local builds on each computer are the same.

I have tried removing the relationships between the tables in the back-end and recreated them, still no luck.

I'm running out of ideas and this is the bosses user account so she's not too happy about "it not working when it does for so-and-so"

Save my skin please, or at least leave any suggestions that you think may help.

Many thanks in advance,

Ahdkaw

Okay, I checked the versions, and it appeared that msjet35.dll was not present on the PC with the problem.

I copied the file across and restarted the PC. Reloaded the Access 2K Runtime App with the required credentials, and the problem was still there.

I have since refreshed the References in the original .mdb and distributed it to the affected PC, taking care to say 'No' to all the 'The file attempting to be copied is older than one currently installed, do you wish to keep it?'

Ran the app again under the required credentials and the form now functions as expected.

Not sure whether it was the Reference-Refresh or Older-Files-Overwrite that solved it, maybe I will be able to check that out some time in the future.

Thanks for your help though ClowneUser, your tip led me to my solution.

Ahdkaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back