Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User SIP Configuration TAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbankscharles

Technical User
Oct 8, 2023
US
I have 524 DID numbers on my account with 383 user extensions matched with the last four digits.
There are 83 extensions that are routed to DID numbers that do not match any part of the extension. In both cases under the SIP tab of the user the SIP Name and SIP Contact reflect the routed number.

I have just now come across 38 users where the SIP Name and SIP Contact have the same number. That number is only in the Incoming Call Route once for one of the main numbers.

These users are phones that we do not need to have incoming calls, but some of them should be able to call out.
This is another configuration mess that I’ve never encountered so I have two questions.

If there is only one route for this number would having it in multiple users SIP configuration cause any issues?

Should these users be able to make outgoing calls?

Charles

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5e2bc350-a5b2-4619-997b-5830f1c8801b&file=01_SIP_Tab.jpg
Hi Charles

"If there is only one route for this number would having it in multiple users SIP configuration cause any issues?"
-- No issues. The user sip tab only comes into play when the sip trunk URI settings are set to 'use internal data'. These are normally set to reflect what you want to send as caller id for outgoing calls, so while the 38 users might have the same number set, this just means that's the caller id they want presented, albeit won't ring directly back into them should a caller return a call.

"Should these users be able to make outgoing calls?"
-- no reason they should not from the info you have given.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the response. I just realized that my SIP details screenshot did not get attached. All my sip trunk URI settings are set to 'use internal data'.

The main issue that I am having is some of these phones can make out going calls while others can't. I have never understood if the SIP tab has anything to do with outgoing calls or not. In the past, I have always populated the sip fields with the DID number associated with router. Some of my user sip have only the extension number. It seems "hit or miss" that these phones can call out. I have checked short codes and rights for anything that would bar outside calls but there is nothing.

Thanks
Charles

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e09465e4-42bf-4a91-bcbe-5db43d53efbf&file=01-Sip_Line_Details.jpg
Hi Charles,
The SIP tab comes into play when you have 'Use Internal Data' set on the SIP URI settings, like your setup. So I'd suspect the extensions that can't dial out are using the extension number (which is the default) as the outgoing CLI, be it from the From, Contact or RPID SIP header.
If you use System Status and monitor the extension you will see exactly which short codes they are hitting, be it in User, Short Code or ARS settings. Any code that points to ARS using Outgoing line 20, in your case. Hit and miss seems to be what is throwing you, but I bet that's down to the types of numbers they are dialling. Some carriers will not pass invalid caller id, others try to manipulate, some send as is and some just pass as anonymous.
My advice would be to put in the main office phone number into the SIP tab of users that can't dial out.
Another option would be to create a new SIP URI and give it a distinct outgoing URI group, e.g. 21. Set the Local URI, Contact, RPID, Diversion Headers to use 1 number, e.g. main office line. Assign these users to a new User Rights using a short code which routes out line 21.
Option 2 would be faster and easier to maintain.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for you reply, this is why I like this group. I think that someone did as you suggested and put the main number in 38 users. That would answer my first question about having that number show up so many times. Not having used extensions without DID numbers associated with them I've never seen this before.

What pushed me to post is an issue reported to me that a user sometimes could not call out. When I looked at the user in IP Office I saw SIP Name and Contact just had the extension, 2020. My SMDR confirmed outgoing calls from that extension, but the number dialed was the main number. The main number ends in 2022. After checking all this out I went to the phone and called my cell phone. To my surprise, the call went through.

Here is the trace I ran during my testing:
Call target / Routing information
Short Code matched: 9N, Dial, System
Connection Type: VCM
Call Recording: No
Redirected to Twin: No
Routed across SCN trunk: No
Retargeting Count: 0

Call Ref = 18760, Direction = From Switch, From = 2020@216.159.230.177, To = 1414335######### My Cell
To = 2020@216.159.230.177, Response = 200 OK

I recalled several phones which I could not call out on had only their extension in SIP (which made sense why I could not call out). Further research came up with the 38 which lead me to here. How can a user with only 2020 in SIP make an outgoing call that shows up with a valid DID? If I return the call my operator will pick up the call.

As you can see by the screenshot, I do not have any numbers in any of my URIs. No other short code besides 9N.

I don't understand which lead to the best way I could start this conversation if someone like you responded.

Thanks again,
Charles

but the number dialed was the main number. The main number ends in 2022" - I think you meant the presented number? CLIP

I'm not sure is my answer why 2020 can dial out and present the main number, again, it might be down to the carrier. I know we use a default caller id should the caller id be malformed, which sounds like it in your case.

Do a SIP debug (System Monitor - System - Enable Development Tracing - SIP - Enable all except the 2 HEX options on the bottom. Make a call from a working extension, make same call from non-working extension.
Cheers
Dave

What I meant to say was my caller id showed the main number coming in, yes the CLIP, SMDR shows only 2020.

Our carrier defaults all numbers in our account to a single name, they say that they cannot use our system's (Diversion Headers) information (. Any number not listed in our account shows "NO CALLER ID". Those people that had numbers ported over show their previous carrier's information.

My confusion comes from an "all or nothing" situation in that some of the users with only extension can call out while others can't. Now it also seems like this one I've been working on sometimes can and sometimes can't call outside. This system was really messed up and has had issues I've never come across in over 15 years.

Never tried "Enable Development Tracing" but will take your advice.

Thanks
Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back