Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

sventekkrishti

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
GB
Dear All,

Is there a simple way of keeping various control panel settings the same per different user, i.e. if i set the date format as yy/mm/dd under one user, when the next user logs in i want him/her to also have the same setting.

Can this be done, is this the equivalent of roaming profiles ?

--
Sven

Roaming Profiles will solve your problem. Drawbacks are that you will need storage space on your server/network and your network will need to handle the increased activity during logon periods (usually first thing in the morning and after lunch).

If you just want to do this to a specific PC (or a few PC's), you can do a profile hive move. To do this first change your view, so you can see all hidden files and file extentions (My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->View, check "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and uncheck "Hide File Extentions for Known File Types"). Setup a "dummy profile" (I just use Administrator), login and make all changes on how you want the profile to look (including your time change). Then logout and login as a different user with admin rights. Go to C: Drive and open the Documents and Settings folder. Open up the "dummy" profile folder. In there you'll see a file called NTUSER.DAT (not NTUSER.DAT.LOG). Right Click and Copy the file. Back out one directory to the Documents and Settings folder. There you should see a folder called Default User. Open the Default User folder and paste the NTUSER.DAT file there (it will ask you if you want to over-write the old file, just say yes). Close all windows.

Now if you logout and log back in as a new user (who does not have a profile on this PC), the user will automatically start with setting identical to that of the "dummy" account (which you can now delete and get rid of... unless it was the Administrator profile). Hope this helps.

Dear Tellco,

Many thanks for the explanation and the help. I had a quick play with roaming profiles yesterday and your right about the space/bandwidth consumption. Will probably go with your second idea.

Many thanks once again,

--
Sventek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back