Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user profile migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc909

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
GB
Hi all,

We currently have a number of pcs on our network that do not log in to a domain. These need to be changed so that they do.

The problem being that when the computer is added to the new domain, windows creates a new profile for the domain user, when I would like to use the existing local profile ideally so that i dont have to change loads of settings. Does anybody know what the the best way of doing this is?

Suggestions appreciated

Hi JC909,

Okay here's how to do it and keep the users desktop settings this also works for replacing machines.

1. First create a shared folder on your Server, call it profiles (for ease)

2. Then visit each machine, Log in as Administrator and copy the users profile to the shared folder (Control Panel, System, User Profiles, Copy Profile)

3. On the Domain Controler under the user administrator, set Roaming Profile for each of the moving users to the shared folder.

4. Change the Domain details under Control Panel, System, Network Identifaction, Properties to the new domain.

5. Logon as the user and it should then download a copy of the profile.

6. Log back in locally as Administrator and go to Control Panel, System, User Profiles, Change Type back to Local.

And thats it.

It sounds and looks a lot but it will take max 10Mins per PC

Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

thankyou - I will give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back