Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User permissions problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agentstarks

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2003
US
I'm in the process of locking down some workstations so users cannot install software on their machines. They are all currently running with their domain accounts as Power User or Administrator. When I've made the change locally on the workstations to just plain old user I have been getting a bunch of program crashes. A lot of them are memory errors or access errors where programs no longer have permission to access directories. Is there any easy way to sort this out? I would have thought that the User permissions would allow installed programs to run fine, just not let the user make system changes and install new software.

If the programs are installed in a directory that the users do not have access to, I believe they will not be able to run the programs. Try installing the programs in a shared directory that everyone can have access to. Make sure all current shortcuts are pointed to that new directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back