Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user password

Status
Not open for further replies.

canobe

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
MY
currently i installed win2k on my p4-2ghz with 256ddr ram system. i found it slow during the start up, that i thought will be fast. any idea? and after the installation, i never notice that i had set up a password for the log on. so now i cant log on to my windows, because i don't know the password. is there any way for me to access my windows without keying any password?

Did you try a blank password? If you did not make a password, then the default is blank!

I had the same problem and successfully reset the password (win2k) back to blank with the free software offered here.

It took about 5 minutes after creating a boot disk described in the documentation.

Worked Great!
Much Luck

Sorry I should have given a bit more advice before telling you about the above link.

First try Damox's suggestion, it's a very good one.

If you have done no more than loaded w2k and forgot the password simply reload w2k and remember what password you enter. I always leave it blank, even in a networked environment, you will only be asked for a network user/pwd when you "log on" to a domain or workgroup.

Also, yes you can have w2k load with no logon, I do it for home users who have no need to logon.

The above link however is extremely useful if you need to get in without reloading the operating system.

To mscallisto:

That was an interesting link you provided, but I can't seem to get to it. I get an error:

You are not authorized to view this page . . . HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden Internet Explorer

Special site?

Hmmm!

I use "ERD Commander" myself, but it is spendy.

yes, i did just press enter with a blank password, but i still cant go to windows. and for your guys information during the installation time, i never key-in any password to it, i just leave it blank. It's only happen when i deleted the "guest account" in 'user account'.

damox: what is ERD Commander?

Deleting the guest should not have caused your problem.

Are you mixing user/pwd with different logins?
What I mean is are you entering userid and password for a domain or workgroup instead of user/id for your local machine?

ERD Commander is a powerful utility that enables you to access an otherwise inaccessible workstation or server installation. It is available through winternals.com. Like I said, it is expensive, but here is the link if you are interested.

The utility described at the link provided by mscallisto is free! You might want to try that if you are still unable to access your computer.

Just a note:

When you are able to log into your system, you may if you wish, shut off the login screen.

Start
Settings
Control panel
DoubleClick Users and Passwords Icon
Click advanced Tab
Un-check Require users to press
Ctrl-Alt-Del before logon

thanks for the information that u guys provided. to make thing easy, today i just reinstall my win2k. and everything going fine now. anyway i did learn that there some others option to solve this problem. thanks you guys very much. as mscallisto advice, i think i should disable the login screen. but if i do so, others users may access to that pc, am i right?

With each login comes a unique profile.

A profile contains the attributes for each unique login.

Attributes can be items like how the desktop appears, color, background, wallpaper etc as well as user priveleges and more.

So whomever logs in to that one profile, has no access to any other profiles. This may keep them from doing things like adding software, connecting to a domain or workgroup etc.

You can make that one profile as basic as you wish.

Canobe said, "i should disable the login screen. but if i do so, others users may access to that pc, am i right?"

That's right! So if you have other users who have access to the computer, by all means, establish user accounts, and make sure you put a password on the Administrator account )just remember it this time). You might even want to rename it.

Also, if you start playing with permissions, make sure you give the "System" account Full Control of the the drive with the Root directory (usually Winnt). Otherwise you might lock yourself out, even if you have administrative rights.

Canobe - mscallisto's suggestion just stop users having to hit Ctrl+alt+del to get a login prompt - that's all. Still have to supply valid user details. If your PC is directly connected to internet, this could be a (slight) security risk, as hackers not including a Ctrl+alt+del sequence in their hack won't get access to login details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back