Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user password change in Global Security Group 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

micahdaniel

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2009
US
I am trying to reset/edit a password for a user on my Windows 2003 Server Active Directory.

In the AD Users and Computers snap-in, Under Users, the user is part of the "Domain Users" Global Security Group. The user is NOT listed under USERS; I have to open the "DOMAIN USERS" Global Security Group to find them. When I open the properties for this user, I can see all their info, but none of the tabs allow password reset or password editing.

How do I edit/change the password?

Right-click the user account object and select 'Reset password...'

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

If I understand the poster he cannot find the user account in ADUC. It was probably moved to another OU or container.

Open the Domain Users group and find the user account in the list of group members. The second column should be "Active Directory Folder" and this will tell you in which OU/Container you can find the user account.

Then find that user account, right-click, and reset password.

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

acl03,

Thanks for your answer. That was it.

Micah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back