Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user need to import data in my database

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasCrossroads

Programmer
Aug 13, 2002
BE
Hello,
I'm writing an email application. I want one part of my site to control the client database. The idea is that we host the database and that a client can import data to it.
I want to create some page that will invite the user to import data to our database. The client should have a couple of choices for his data source: CSV, excel, access, ...
Is there anything out there that can help me with this. I need to have scripting that can read from this different data sources into a recordset. Once that is achieved, I can write it out to our own databse.
The user should also be able to point out which field of his own data source match with our structure. For example, we have columns Name, Email, etc... well the user should be able to tell us which columns in his data source are the ones for Name, Email and so on.
There's another problem: when I allow text files as a data source, sometimes first row contains field names, sometimes not, delimiter can be different every time...

Any ideas on how I should tackle this problem?

Thanks for any hints,
Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back