Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user management..security page control

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ777

Programmer
Jun 5, 2002
MY
hi all..

i need some idea's & suggestion how to design a good postgresql table that occupied aspect as below:

1)there are 3 types of user which are admin, academic-staff & non-academic-staff.

2)academic-staff & non-academic staff can be flexsibally set their role one bye one whether can 'query,insert,update,delete' .

my difficulty is how to manage this on database & interface. I also stiill blur on how to relate the
postgress privilledge with my session...

as far as i'm concern the priviledge on postgresql is controling the user acessibillity on each table..so if in our system design there will be join in many table so how to set it....

tq in advance..

Hi JJJ777,

One way to control access to your tables is through managed application code. For example, a web app often allow a general user group, such as user of the www, to access a table via a web browser. User usually do not need to log onto the database server as the names of the database, tables, server which is usually localhost, and password are embedded into the perl, VBA, PHP, python, c/c++, etc managed application code.

Using this method, you can grant user the ability to access your database via the app and insert records for example. The application may not have edit/delete functionality that is accessible via the web, or such features may require a special login. This allow you to restrict what users can or can not do via your managed application code.

LelandJ
Leland F. Jackson, CPA
Software - Master (TM)
Nothing Runs Like the Fox

mmmm...

first of all thankss...

can you point me to any examples that apply the use of GRANT table in php-postgresql in controling the user right..thats all

tq

Hi JJJ777,

One of the most popular generic front-end GUI to postgres is myPgAdmin. It is written in php and is open source. It allows a Database Administrator to easily assign permission to users. MyPgAdmin runs on many platforms. You could install it and then take a look at the php source to see how this is done. You can find more information about myPgAdmin with a search of the web.

LelandJ Leland F. Jackson, CPA
Software - Master (TM)
Nothing Runs Like the Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back