Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user logins hanging 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aseidas

MIS
Jan 10, 2002
US
I have one customer having an ongoing problem with users not being logged out when they are done with our application. Their profiles are set to exec our app so they have no shell access, exiting the program should drop their telnet session, which it is doing. If you execute who it still shows the users logged in. This is a problem because our app only allows one concurrent login of the same name. doing a ps shows no processes for the user so there is nothing to kill the only thing that resolves it is to reboot. Any ideas??
-Aseidas

This can occur for a couple of reasons, the first I'd do would be to clear out the following files:
/etc/wtmp
/etc/wmtpx
/etc/utmp
/etc/utmpx

The best way to clear these is in single-user mode. Do not remove these files! Just clear them like so:

# cd /etc
# >wtmp
# >wtmpx
# >utmp
# >utmpx

Then reboot. If this doesn't resolve the problem, then you've got a corrupt /etc/auth/subsystem/ttys file.

Reference this link for a good explanation (and solution) to this.

Good Luck!

Personally I use this method.

rm -f /etc/auth/system/ttys-t
And that works too ;-)

But you can also simply move this file.
mv /etc/auth/system/ttys-t

Have a nice day.

Hi,

I have a slight twist to this problem. I have processes that appear when you do a ps -ef, but do not show in 'who'. They do, however, take up application licenses. Will the same solution apply?

Thanks for any help

probably not....
left over processes are really there(sort of) as opposed to a corrupt datafile.
the hung/left over processes will have a process id and a parent process id. what is the parent process id?

I just checked one. The parent process ID is 1. The PID can be killed and the license is then released, but I would have to put in a cron job to continually check the processes for these 'defunct' jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back