Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user login

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremedatos

Technical User
Feb 22, 2010
AR
hi all.

Im working with redhat 5 and im adding different users and but when they try to log on the error i have is log on failed. i change the password but still the same.

Any ideas?

thanks

Hi

extremedatos said:
when they try to log on
[ul]
[li]What kind of login is that ? Virtual console, display manager, secure shell, all of these ?[/li]
[li]Only happens when logging in ? Or also when substituting user with [tt]su[/tt] ?[/li]
[li]Also happens for short passwords ? Some systems cut the passwords. The one I saw cut them to 8 characters. ( No, not a RedHat. But I would still check it. )[/li]
[/ul]

Feherke.

im adding with useradd. and im testing it directly to the console.

thanks

Start with the basics -

Caplock on or off?

Numlock on or off?

Scroll lock on or off?

You'd be surprised how often one of those locks being in the 'wrong' state when the password is entered causes symptoms like you describe.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Usually it asks what shell you want to assign to them, like /bin/sh or /bin/bash. Make sure it's not set for nologin or something like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back