Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User log in and system 32 folder opened--please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklow

MIS
Apr 2, 2001
US
Please help!

Metaframe 1.8, everytime user log in, system 32 directory opened, Cann't find anywhere to fix it. Please help!

Thanks!

Maybe this will help?

Question: I just installed Communicator on my Microsoft Windows NT system and now every time I log into my system, it opens up my C:\winnt.0\system32 directory. Why is it doing this?

Answer: This is a known issue with Microsoft Windows NT. It indicates a problem with your registry-- typically a corrupt or empty entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

For more details, read the article System32 Folder Opens When Logging into Windows NT on Microsoft's online support center at:

Or this one:

1. Edit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. If the right hand pane has an entry NoSaveSettings that is a 1, set it to zero until the problem is resolved. This should be a REG_BINARY value.

2. Edit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
For each Value, make sure that the string is valid, i.e., if the Value is ActiveMovie File Extensions, the string of this REG_SZ entry should be ActMovie.exe /Check and not null. The string must always start with an executable file. If it doesn't, fix it or delete the Value.

This phenomenon occurs because there is an empty entry in the run key in the registry.
Open regedt32.exe and navigate to:
Hkey_local_machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run

Check the entries in the right pane and if any of them do not have a value entered in them. Delete them.
This will resolve your problem.

This is further documented in Microsoft Knowledgebase article Q170086

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back