Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Lock Out Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnugent

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2002
US
I have three Win98 machines that continually cause whoever is logged on to get locked out of the network. This problem began to creep up when we were an NT 4 domain, but recently we upgraded all DC's to Win2k3. We thought that would fix the problem, but those three machines are still causing problems. Any clues as to what could be causing this?

Win98 has been a while...

You know how Win95/98 will "remember" the users password after they manually map a drive so the next time they logon the drive will automatically map for them? I've seen cases where the user will change their password but the machine still thinks it's supposed to use the old password. The user can get logged in but the machine will continue to try connecting to whatever the resource is, with the old password. If you have a lockout policy after x number of invalid logins, bang, the user eventually gets locked out.

I've also seen this with software that users have installed where the software asks for the users password during install. Then it will continue to use that same old password whenever the software runs.

You could turn on logging but if you have many DC's it can be hard to determine if this is happening. You'll have to look at the security logs on every DC.

[yawn] Bob

I have already examined the logging and it is indeed sending the wrong password 5 times then locks out. The only thing is I can't seem to figure out what is causing the lockout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back