Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Level Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdjb

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
We hacve an access DB that was created in '97, but are currently using 2010. The user level security wizard was used to lock down the DB, but the person who did it is on extended medical leave. We used the User and Group permissions wizrd to add a new user, and is seems to complete, but that user isn't in the MSysUserList afterwards. But if we try User and Group permissions wizard again, it says the user exists.

Any ideas?

2010? I didn't think it supported Security changes at all but back to the point.

The user would not be created in the MDB file but rather an MDW or workgroup file. Likely groups were used to grant permissions in the MDB and by adding the user to the MDW and group within, the user should be able to log in and use those group objects.

Likely you have a shortcut to your application that opens Access with the target MDB application and Workgroup file at the sametime. If you do not use the workgroup file, you won't be able to log in. It is also possible to join a workgroup, but I'm not sure how this would be supported in 2010 short of the shortcut method (used /wrkgroup command line switch to specify the workgroup information file/mdw).

Hello,
The security method can be used with newer versions as long as you don't upgrade the old DB. Yes, we use the shortcut method to reference the workgroup. We have added the user to the Admins group, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Did you log onto the database with that user on a machine that already works? Are you sure the workgroup is setup to work correctly / can you log on with a different user on that user's machine (logged in to windows as the user but access as other)?

I knew security was supported in 2010... I think though some of the UI for maintain security was depricated in 2010... I am using 2007 at my current assignment and most certainly did not use Workgroups with 2010 when I have used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back