Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User-Level Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanson

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2003
US
I'm trying to define users in a multi-user environment but the workgroup is not storing the new user data that I input into the database. The database itself accepts the new users but the workgroup doesn't. Therefore, my workstation is the only place the logon procedure is called. Everything works great on my computer but not at other workstations on the network. How can I get the workgroup to store these new users and have the logon procedure effective for all users on the network?

Are you sure you are JOINING the same SYSTEM.MDW file when you set the workgroup security, ad new users, etc. that the users will use when opening the database? Security settings are stored in the MDW file. Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

You said: I'm trying to define users in a multi-user environment but the workgroup is not storing the new user data that I input into the database.
This is confusing. Users aren't input in the database but loaded using the tools/security dialog boxes.

To verify the workgroup, from the debug window with a module in design view enter:

?syscmd(acSysCmdGetWorkgroupFile)
F:\GROUPS\SDV\DMATS\Dmatssecure.mdw

Everyone should be using the same workgroup somewhere on the network or have a copy of the approved/distributed workgroup. I recommend one workgroup on the network.

Build an icon with a target like the following and put it on the network so others can drop it on their desktops (assuming everyone installs Access in the same location):
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" f:\groups\sdv\dmats\test\v01-q2-00\dmats97.mdb /USER SCKing /WRKGRP F:\GROUPS\SDV\DMATS\test\V01-Q2-00\dmatssecure.MDW

Steve King
Growth follows a healthy professional curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back