Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User-Level Security Wizard not working over network? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionTC

Programmer
Dec 13, 2006
GB
Firstly I have run the Security Wizard for my database and I have set up the groups/users to go with this with their own passwords/ID's.

When this is complete I then have a .MDW file which should be linked to the database, and it does do this on the PC which it has been setup on. My question is how do you set it up for use on a network? I tried the shortcut idea where you link the .MDW file through a shortcut but this seems too easy to overcome if the user can find the database and directly enter through it rather than using a shortcut.

How is the .MDW security file supposed to link to the database if the majority of the users are accessing it over a network?

To answer a couple of questions, I have followed a couple of FAQ's which go through the whole getting rid of the standard admin account and creating some kind of "power" admin to replace it seeing as a standard security file has by default the "admin" account.

Any ideas where this is going wrong? To sum it all up it's working on the computer it is setup on but anyone accessing over a network can get straight into the database.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards

Open your database whilst connected to the correct MDW file. Add a password to the Admin user. Close and re-open Access, re-open your database logging in as a different admin user. Now remove all rights the the database and its objects from the Admin user.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back