Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User installation rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBTL

MIS
Dec 17, 2003
EG
Hi all,

I have set up my windows 2003 domain, but some users who are part of the domain users group cannot install antivirus updates (mcaffee, .DAT files) onto their ocal pc, says you dont have enough rights !

I dont want to grant this users any other right, like domain admins or operators but just want them to be able to install applications onto their local machines, how can i do that.

Pls assist, as now i have to login as admin and do it on each pc

TBTL

Have you try giving the users administrative rights or power users on their local computers?

Well this users are in a domain?? will it take effect??

Yes if you add the domain account to the local power users group it will allow them to write to the program files directory but they won't have complete conrol over the PC.

Alternativly if it's just Mcaffee that's causing the problem and it's only a couple of PC's then you can give them write access to just the Mcaffee program folder, that should sort it.

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back